Skip to main content

Ed Blatchford Rancho Los Alamitos photographs collection

 Collection — Folder: 1
Identifier: 2008-014-r
Aerial photographs of the Rancho Los Alamitos area (1928-1988) donated by Ed Blatchford. Images show mostly farmland, residental communities, and their surrounding areas.

#1 Oct 11, 1964 #2 Nov 18, 1952 #3 1928 #4 1978 #5 1988


  • 1928 - 1988

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.


0.02 Linear Feet (1 folder)


Photos of the Rancho Los Alamitos area.

Biographical / Historical

"Rancho Los Alamitos takes its name from a Mexican land grant in southwestern Los Angeles County and northwestern Orange County, California. Los Alamitos means the Little Cottonwoods or Poplars in Spanish, after the native Fremont Cottonwood trees there.

Rancho Los Alamitos originally included much of present-day eastern Long Beach and all of the Orange County cities/communities of Los Alamitos and Rossmoor and most of Seal Beach, Cypress, Stanton and Garden Grove in Southern California.[2] It is also sometimes referred to as Bixby Ranch, after its last private owners. The early 19th century adobe ranch house, still stands today, housing a museum which presents the history of the area."


This collection is arranged by Material Type.

Physical Location

Leatherby Libraries

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Ed Blatchford, Chapman University Facilities.
Finding Aid for the Ed Blatchford Rancho Los Alamitos photographs collection
Norm Lee
Description rules
Language of description

Repository Details

Part of the Frank Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections and Archives, Leatherby Libraries Repository

Chapman University
One University Drive
Orange 92866 USA US