Irvin C. "Ernie" Chapman, '33, Chapman University Trustee papers, 1933-2002
Scope and Contents
This collection mainly consists of the files belonging to Irvin C. "Ernie" Chapman that reflect his various committee assignments as a life trustee of Chapman University. Files include but are not limited to the following standing Board Committees: Academic Committee, Church Relations Committee, Enrollment and Student Life Committee, Finance and Budget Committee, Investment Committee, Real Estate, Building and Ground Committee, Trusteeship Committee, and University Advancement Committee. The files consist of documents, correspondence, publications and mementos from Mr. Chapman's long service as a Chapman University trustee. In addition, the collections contains some of the awards, plaques, and mementos.
Language of Materials
The materials in this collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material.
Biographical / Historical
Irvin "Ernie" C. Chapman, '33, alumnus of California Christian College, was the son of the namesake of Chapman University, Charles Clarke Chapman, and Clara Chapman. He was also a lifelong trustee of Chapman College which became Chapman University, making him the the longest-serving trustee in the United States, from 1934 until his death on August 5, 2002.
As a student at California Christian College, Ernie served as student body president, played varsity football, and graduated with honors in Sociology, History and Political Science. In 1994, Ernie was pleased to see that Chapman University reinsituted varsity football, and in September of 1999, the Chapman Stadium was re-named the Ernie Chapman Stadium in honor of him.
Ernie ran the family business, attended Kiwanis Club meetings for 62 years, was a member of the First Christian Church of Fullerton, Disciples of Christ, was mayor of Fullerton from 1948-1950, and sat on the Orange County Fair board longer than anyone. He sat on numerous committees at Chapman University.
Ernie and his first wife, Zelda McNamee, met at CCC, married in 1936 and were the parents of Cherie Harrison and Claire Nichols. Ernie and his second wife, Edy, were married for 26 years.
11.26 Linear Feet (20 boxes)
This collection is the papers of Irvin C. "Ernie" Chapman, '33, and contains documents relating to his service as a trustee of Chapman University, and also contains personal documents, such as ephemera relating to his travels to Europe.
The collection is arranged by material type, topic and chronology.
This collection is arranged by series.
- California -- College trustees Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- California Christian College Subject Source: Local sources
- California Christian College -- Athletics Subject Source: Local sources
- Chapman College Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chapman University -- Trustees. Subject Source: Local sources
- Chapman family Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Christians (Disciples of Christ) -- Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Christians (Disciples of Christ) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fullerton (Calif.) -- Biography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kiwanis International. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- YMCA of the USA. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings