James Kent thesis
Scope and Contents
This collection contains an original second copy of a 1941 master's thesis titled "Segregation of Mexican school children in Southern California." It was written by James L. Kent while attending the University of Oregon in 1940. Kent was the Superintendant of Garden Grove School District during the Mendez v. Westminster trial of 1946, and his research in the thesis was introduced as evidence by the Mendez et al. attorney, David Marcus. It was used against Kent and the Orange County schools as it showed the racist attitudes of school administration officers. Kent testified that he considered Mexican-American children inferior and believed that Mexican-American children should not attend all-white schools, regardless of their intellectual abilities.
This collection also contains a letter from Katy Lenn from the University of Oregon, explaining that the thesis is a second copy that was de-accessioned from the University of Oregon's Knight Library.
- 1940 - 1941
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions. For further copyright information, please contact the archivist.
.08 Linear Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
This collection contains an original (second) copy of James Kent's master's thesis from the University of Oregon. The thesis is titled "Segregation of Mexican school children in Southern California" and the research was used as evidence against him and the Orange County schools during the Mendez v. Westminster trial.
Leatherby Libraries, Frank Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections and Archives
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the Knight Library at the University of Oregon. Donated by Katy Lenn on behalf of the Knight Library. (De-accessioned from the University of Oregon's Knight Library.)
- Mendez et al. v Westminster et al. archives Subject Source: Local sources
- Mendez et al. v. Westminster School District et al. Subject Source: Local sources
- Mexican Americans -- California -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Orange County (Calif.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Segregation in education -- California. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Race Relations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for James Kent thesis
- Segregation of Mexican School Children in Southern California
- Lauren Abel
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Frank Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections and Archives, Leatherby Libraries Repository
One University Drive
Orange 92866 USA US