Gladys Eileen Sparks Papers
Scope and Contents
Ephemera belonging to Gladys Eileen Sparks, who served in the Coast Guard during the WWII era. Most of the collection relates to the Coast Guard experience, but included are her two diplomas and her M.A. in History thesis, and personal photographs of WWII era and later in life, including travel photographs. Also, two b & w oversized group portrait photographs of women Coast Guard Reserves (SPARs).
- 1939 - 1969
Language of Materials
The materials in this collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
Gladys Eileen Sparks was born on October 15, 1917 in Moline, Illinois, received her Bachelor's and Masters' degrees from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and served in the United States Coast Guard (Women's) Reserve from Feb. 3, 1944 until May 8, 1946. She died in Long Beach, CA in October, 1993.
1 Linear Feet (1 box)
This is a small collection of Glady's Eileen Sparks' papers related to her two years in the United States Coast Guard (Women's) Reserve from 1944-1946 and her college career before that at the University of Illinois. This collection primarilty includes documents and photographs.
This collection is arranged by material type.
2 oversize b & w photographs of the women Coast Guard Reserves (SPARs) are in Flat File A, Drawer 1.
Green photo album cover is deteriorating. Blue photo album and other material are in good to excellent condition.
- Spain -- History -- Alfonso XIII, 1886-1931. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spain -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spain -- Kings and rulers. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Coast Guard. Women's Reserve Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Gladys Eileen Sparks Papers
- Claudia Horn
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description