Japanese Internment posters
Scope and Contents
This collection contains one folder consisting of two posters. They are both notices for Civilian Exclusion Order No. 55, March and May 1942, ordering the evaciation and internment of Japanese citizens. These posters were in Covina, California and ordered the evacuation of portions of Los Angeles County. Instructions include property required to bring with them to the American Legion Hall, Civil Control Station by May 10 or 11, 1942.
Noted at bottom: J.L. DeWitt, Lieutenant General, U.S. Army, Commanding.
1 poster, tan, black writing, "Instructions to All Persons of Japanese Ancestry"
1 poster, tan, black writing, "NOTICE: Headquarters Western Defense Command and Fourth Army, Civilian Exclusion Order No. 55."
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
The internment of Japanese Americans in the United States was the forced relocation and incarceration during World War II of between 110,000 and 120,000 people of Japanese ancestry who lived on the Pacific coast in camps in the interior of the country. Sixty-two percent of the internees were United States citizens. The U.S. government ordered the removal of Japanese Americans in 1942, shortly after Imperial Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor. The order to evacuate and detain these citizens, as evidenced by the posters in this collection, was Civilian Exclusion Order No. 55.
0.025 Linear Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of two poster notices of Japanese American evacuation and internment during World War Two, 1942.
Leatherby Libraries, Frank Mt. Pleasant Special Collections and Archives.
- Covina (Calif.) -- History. Subject Source: Local sources
- Japanese Americans -- Evacuation and relocation, 1942-1945. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Prisoners of war Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Homefront Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Prisoners and prisons Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Public opinion Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War II Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Japanese Internment poster collection
- In Progress
- Andrew Harman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Frank Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections and Archives, Leatherby Libraries Repository
One University Drive
Orange 92866 USA US