Magnus R. Schuldt Second World War correspondence collection
This collection contains 30 correspondence written by T-SGT Magnus R. Schuldt to his parents during the Second World War. Also included in a letter written to Magnus' mother, Mrs. H. Schuldt, by one CPL Don E. Barschig at around the same time.
- 1944 March 18-1944 December 31
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
Magnus R. Schuldt, a Technical Sergeant (T-SGT) in the United States Army Air Force, after being trained at Tonopah in Nevada, became a member of the 31st Bomb Squadron, 5th Bomber Group--later to be known as the "Bomb Barons"--and served in the Pacific Theaer during the Second World War.
"During one of his early missions, an engine on Schuldt's airplane was damaged by enemy fire and the crew was forced to bail out. According to an interview he gave with a Butler County Times Gazette in 2013, Schuldt saw just 10 parachutes from the 11-man crew leave the plane, and ultimately just seven of the men survived by swimming several hours to shore. The survivors lived in an abandoned house, eating papaya and coconuts for about eight days until natives from an adjacent island arrived and helped them find food such as fish and turtle as well as other indigenous fruits on the island. they were spotted a few days later by a search plane and rescued the next day. The crew spent a short time recovering in Australia and then returned to duty" (Taken from the dealer's original prospectus).
.08 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This collection contains correspondence written by T-SGT Magnus R. Schuldt, USAAF, to his parents during the Second World War.
This collection is arranged by author and date: Series 1. Correspondence, T-SGT Magnus R. Schuldt to his parents - Series 2. Correspondence, CPL Don E. Barschig to Mrs. H. Schuldt.
Leatherby Libraries, Special Collections
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from The Book Shop, LLC-AVBAA, ILAB.
- Armed Forces -- Search and rescue operations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Schuldt, Magnus R., 1924-? (Author)
- United States -- Army -- Pacific Theater of Operations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army -- Air Forces Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army -- Air Forces -- Bombardier Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Magnus R. Schuldt correspondence collection
- Andrea Paquin
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Frank Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections and Archives, Leatherby Libraries Repository
One University Drive
Orange 92866 USA US