Guzman family records
This collection consists of Guzman family belongings from 1922 to the mid-1980s. The collection contains various realia items including one watch, one camera, one wax polish tin, one ice cream maker, one Guardian pitcher with Guardian cookware information documents, two articles of clothing, five textiles, one foam core piece depicting the Guzman home, one homemade Latina Cabbage Patch doll made by Virginia Guzman in the mid-1980s, one metal social security card owned by her father, William G. Guzman, and a folded photocopy of a news clipping from March 8, 1945 that William G. Guzman would carry in his pocket. The collection also contains seventeen photographs of the Guzman family. The family was involved in the Mendez v. Westminster case of 1946. William Guzman was one of the main plaintiffs during the trial.
- From 1922 to mid-1980s
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions. For further copyright information, please contact the archivist.
2.615 Linear Feet (1 folder and 2 boxes) : One .025 linear foot folder; one 1.25 linear foot carton box; one 1.34 linear foot oversized box.
Language of Materials
This collection contains items that belonged to the Guzman family, who participated in the Mendez v. Westminster case of 1946. The collection includes family realia such as articles of clothing, textiles, a watch, a homemade doll, and other records such as a news clipping and family photographs.
Series 1: Guzman Family Photographs, dates unknown – Series 2: Guzman Family Realia, 1922 – 1965 – Series 3: Guzman Family Memorabilia, 1980s
Leatherby Libraries, Frank Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections and Archives
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection consists of gifts from Virginia Guzman, Beverly Guzman Gallegos, and Michael S. Gallegos.
- Mendez et al. v Westminster et al. archives Subject Source: Local sources
- Mendez et al. v. Westminster School District et al. Subject Source: Local sources
- Mexican Americans -- California -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Segregation in education -- California. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gallegos, Beverly Guzman, August 5, 1948- (Donor, Person)
- Finding Aid for the Guzman family records
- Lissete Ocampo
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Frank Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections and Archives, Leatherby Libraries Repository
One University Drive
Orange 92866 USA US