Legal judgment involving John C. Fremont
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Biographical / Historical
Fremont led several expeditions into the American west and as a Major in the Army during the Mexican-American War, breifly took control over the California territory as military governor, though that ended in controversy. He then settled in California and led another expedition to find a rail passage over the mountains in 1849, later discovering gold in his Mariposa ranch and eventually entered politics.
The legal judgment found in this collection is one of many lawsuits endured by Fremont during this period. After the Mexican-American War and the 1849 gold rush, there were many claims to land and territory, as well as property such as cattle for which Fremont was a target. His assets remained his, however, as he won his appeals through the United States Supreme Court.
During the Civil War, President Lincoln appointed Fremont to the position of Commander of the Western Armies, though that tenure was short lived and he was relieved due to insubordination. He then continued his exploration and ranching ventures and ran into financial troubles with the purchase of the Transpacific Railroad, founding the Southwest Pacific Railroad after reorganizing its assets and failing to pay his second installment and letting it get reposessed by the state.
President Hayes appointed Fremont governor of the Arizona Territory in 1878, but that too was not long endured as he was given a choice to resume duties or resign, to which he chose resignation and retirement in New York. After financial hardships and retirement in the east, Fremont passed away in 1890 at the age of 77.
0.025 Linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- California -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- California -- History -- 1850-1950 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Frémont, John Charles, 1813-1890
- Ranches -- California. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Real Property -- California -- Los Angeles Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Legal judgment involving John C. Fremont
- In Progress
- Andrew Harman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note