Thomas Hepburn Perry Vietnam War correspondence
Correspondence from Specialist Four Thomas Hepburn Perry to his wife and family during the Vietnam War. Perry served as a E4, US Army Special Services under Detachment A-105, 5th Special Forces Group and was a medic. He was last seen not escaping the Kham Duc Special Forces camp and instead treating the wounded on May 10, 1968. He was later reported missing in action and then presumed to be dead, although his remains have never been found. Perry is the nephew of actress Katharine Hepburn. This collection includes correspondence Perry wrote to his brother, Robert, Perry's twin sister Nome, Nome's best friend from high school, Karen and to his wife Sherry. He also sent Sherry an audio tape, recorded May 9, 1968, a day before he was reported missing in action. The collection also contains correspondence to Sherry from the military explaining Perry's disappearance. All of the correspondence except 4 of the military correspondence were transcribed and contains notes from the transcriber.
Gift of Francesca Huntsman-Siemer. MLC
- Majority of material found within All of the collection resides between these dates.
- Correspondence from Perry resides between these dates.
0.08 Linear feet (1 folder)
114 Transcribed Correspondence(5 from the military to Sherry, one is a telegram at the end of Perry's correspondence to Sherry; 1 audio correspondence; 98 from Perry to Sherry; 2 to Robert; 5 to Nome; 3 to Karen), 1 Biographical Information Packet ( contains information on how Perry was missing in action)
- Armed Forces -- Search and rescue operations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Battle casualties Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence -- Vietnam War -- 1961-1975 Subject Source: Local sources
- Kham Duc, Battle of, Khâm Đức, Vietnam, 1968 Subject Source: Local sources
- Missing in action Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Battlefields Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Refugees -- Vietnamese. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- War -- Medical aspects Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings