Series 8, John R. Gilmore, 1941 October 31 - 1943 September 22
Scope and Contents
This series contains materials relating to Capt. John R. Gilmore, USAAF during the Second World War. Included are one v-mail, one graduation flyer from the Air Corps Advanced Flying School, two photographs and three photocopies of clippings and an invitation to the graduation.
The photographs are of Lt. Gilmore and his father, and one of him with his wife, Clarabelle and child John R. Gilmore, Jr. The clippings describe his acceptance as a flying cadet and a letter he sent home describing the hazards of reconaissance flying in a P52 fighter-type plane and friendly fire.
- 1941 October 31 - 1943 September 22
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Biographical / Historical
Captain John Rolin Gilmore, United States Army Air Force (8/18/1920 - 3/4/2001) was born in Coshocton County, Ohio and attended Ohio State University before enlisting on March 15, 1941 and graduating the Air Corps Advanced Flying School on October 31, 1941 at Brooks Field, Texas. He served in North Africa, Sicily and Italy as a reconaissance pilot with the 111 Reconnaissance Squadron until his honorable discharge on July 7, 1947.
0.02 Linear feet (2 photographs, 1 v-mail, 1 graduation flyer, 3 photocopies)
Language of Materials
- Air pilots, military Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army -- Air Forces Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Italy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- North Africa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings