Hubert A. Spurgin Second World War correspondence
Scope and Contents
This collection contains correspondence written by Private Hubert Albert Spurgin, United States Army, to his wife, Jean B. Spurgin, in Anadarko, Oklahoma, and to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. A.V. Spurgin in Craig, Colorado during the Second World War. Hubert Spurgin was a private in the Army and served at least some of his duty in North Africa. This collection also contains postcards, war ration books, guides to North Africa, pamphlets, and newspaper clippings, especially articles and cartoons by war correspondent and editorial cartoonist William Henry "Bill" Mauldin.
- five V-mail letters
- five war ration books
- one mileage rationing record
- one military receipt for delivery of gasoline
- one booklet of 10 postcards of North Africa
- one Atlas of World War II 20th Commemorative Edition
- two copies of Soldier's Guide to Sicily
- one Language Guide to North Africa
- one Pocket Guide to North Africa
- onebooklet by Bill Mauldin titled Mud, Mules and Mountains,1944, with introduction by Ernie Pyle and autographed by some men who served with Spurgin.
- Majority of material found within 1942 January 1 - 1944 December 12
- 1942 - 1965
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions. For further copyright information, please contact the archivist.
.3 Linear feet (5 folders)
Language of Materials
This collection contains letters, travel materials, ephemera and news clippings from Pvt. Hubert A. Spurgin, USA.
This collection is arranged by material type and date.
- Series 1: Correspondence
- Series 2: Travel materials
- Series 3: Ephemera
- Series 4: Newspaper clippings
- Series 5: Bill Mauldin materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Barbara Jean Spurgin Baca. Legacy collection from Andrew Carroll.
- Art and war Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Local sources
- Soldiers -- United States -- Caricatures and Cartoons Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Caricatures and Cartoons Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- North Africa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Hubert A. Spurgin Second World War correspondence
- Sharon Clairemont
- June 14, 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description