Eugene R. Cadieux Second World War correspondence
Collection — Multiple Containers
This collection contains the correspondence of CPL Eugene "Gene" Rogers Cadieux, USA to his mother, Nadia Cadieux and to his grandmother, Josephine Rogers in Detroit, Michigan and to Kathleen (Mrs. Roy) Flora in Elgin, IL. Eugene Cadieux was a private in the United States Army Corps of Engineers and served in the European theater, primarily in France. Cpl. Cadieux trained at Camp Bowie in Texas, Camp Joseph T. Robinson in Arkansas and the Desert Training Center in California. Of interest is a lock of hair sent to his mother Nadia on July 4, 1944.
- 1943 - 1945
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
Corporal Eugene Rene Cadieux, United States Army Corps of Engineers, was born on February 14, 1923 in Detroit, Michigan. He lived with his mother Nadia and grandmother, Josephine Rogers. The Cadieux name came from early settlers in Grosse Pointe, Michigan and the family name has deep roots in the area. His mother was a descendant of settlers from the Mayflower, with the last name Rogers. CPL Cadieux joined the United States Army on March 11, 1943 and served with the Army Corps of Engineers until January 15, 1946. He was a history enthusiast and ran a "rainbow" farm, so named for its thin shape, in Grosse Pointe until his death on March 23, 1988.
.8 Linear feet (15 folders)
Language of Materials
This collection contains letters, photographs and newspaper clippings from CPL Eugene Rogers Cadieux, USA.
This collection is arranged by material type and date: Series 1: Correspondence from Eugene Cadieux to Nadia Cadieux--Series 2: Correspondence from Eugene Cadieux to Josephine Rogers--Series 3: Correspondence from Eugene Cadieux to Kathleen (Mrs. Roy) Flora--Series 4: Biographical Information--Series 5: Photographs.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Leontine Keane Cadieux (Mrs. Eugene R. Cadieux), part of the Legacy Collection.
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army -- Corps of Engineers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army -- European Theater of Operations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--France Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Eugene R. Cadieux Second World War correspondence
- Sharon Clairemont
- June 14, 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note