William S. Harker Second World War correspondence
This collection contains letters and other correspondence written by Sergeant William S. Harker, his wife Lois, their parents, and Sergeant Harker's sister Elvina, with the bulk of correspondence between 1944 and 1945. The letters were written while Sgt. Harker was stationed at Randolph Field in Texas, at the Army Air Base in Blythe, California and at the Army Air Field in Walla Walla, WA. Documents indicate that Lois was also stationed at Blythe for a period. An item in Series 10 says that Lois Harker was secretary to the officer in charge of the Base Signal Office. One letter from 1945 is also written from Hofen, Germany, although it is unclear if it is from Sgt. Harker. According to information provided by the donor, Sgt. Harker was a medic in the Army Air Corps. The letters describe life on the bases, as well as life in Hawarden, Iowa, where William and Lois were born and raised. In her letters, Lois describes her work at the drug store in Hawarden. The letters also describe life on the homefront during World War II, particularly pertaining to rationed items. One letter that addresses rationing is in Series 2. It is from Sgt. Harker's sister Elvina and is postmarked April 9, 1943.
- 1937 February 1 - 1960 March 14
- Majority of material found within 1942 November 1- 1945 March 27
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
.75 Linear feet ((1.5 document boxes). )
Language of Materials
This collection contains correspondence and records relating to Sgt. William S. Harker, USAAF. According to information provided by the donor, Harker was a medic during World War II.
This collection is arranged by material type, author, and date.
- Series 1: Correspondence between Sgt. William Harker and Lois Harker
- Series 2: Correspondence between Sgt. William Harker and family members
- Series 3: Other correspondence with William Harker
- Series 4: Correspondence bewtween Lois Harker and family members
- Series 5: Other correspondence with Lois Harker
- Series 6: Other correspondence
- Series 7: Personal records of Sgt. Harker
- Series 8: Photographs
- Series 9: Diary of William S. Harker
- Series 10: Ephemera
- Series 11: Clippings
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Jean Cowell. This is a legacy collection from Andrew Carroll.
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Local sources
- World War (1939-1945) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Germany Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Homefront Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Hospitals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the William S. Harker Second World War correspondence
- Rob Strauss
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description