John A.Chinn Second World War correspondence
Collection — Box: WWII 73, Folder: 1-21
This collection contains correspondence written by SSG John Chinn, USAAF to his wife Erma Chinn during World War Two. It also contains several letters from Erma Chinn to SSgt. Chinn, from Mrs. Jack Chinn to SSG Chinn and from W.M. Woodward to Erma Woodward Chinn. SSgt. Chinn's service in the Army Air Corps included training at Patterson Field in Fairfield, Ohio, Chanute Field in Rantoul, Illinois, Sheppard Field in Wichita Falls, Texas and at Brookley Field in Mobile, Alabama. He served as an airplane mechanic in Egypt. John and Erma Chinn lived in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- 1942 - 1945
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions. For further copyright information, please contact the archivist.
Biographical / Historical
Staff Sergeant John Arthur Chinn, United States Army Air Force, was born on February 18, 1918 in Minneapolis, Minnesota to John Russell Chinn and Valeda Marie Decker. He married Erma Jayne Woodward in February 1942, the same month he joined the United States Army Air Force. He served in the Second World War and earned the rank of Staff Sergeant with the 63rd Air Depot Group in Cairo until he returned from overseas in November 1945. SSgt. Chinn passed away on March 29, 1989 in Sacramento, California.
1 Linear feet (21 folders)
Language of Materials
This collection contains correspondence written by SSG John Chinn, USAAF, to his wife Erma Chinn during World War Two.
This collection is arranged by material type and date: Series 1: Correspondence from John Chinn to Erma Chinn--Series 2: Correspondence from Erma Chinn to John Chinn--Series 3: Correspondence from Mrs. Jack Chinn to John Chinn--Series 4: W.M. Woodward and Elwin C. Woodward to Erma Chinn--Series 5: Miscellaneous Correspondence--Series 6: Ephemera.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Denice Chinn, 1/20/2016.
- Airplanes, Military -- Maintenance and repair Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sheppard Field (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army -- Air Forces Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Africa, North Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Homefront Subject Source: Local sources
- finding aid for the John A. Chinn Second World War correspondence
- Sharon Clairemont
- June 28, 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note