Harry Scotidas Second World War correspondence
Collection — Multiple Containers
This collection contains correspondence written to United States Army Air Force Sergeant Harry Scotidas and Mary Mantos by family, friends, and fellow soldiers. The letters are dated between 1940 and 1946. Most of the letters are written in English, although there are some letters written in the Greek alphabet, namely from Harry's mother. In 1940, Scotidas was stationed in Hawaii (then an American territory) in Hickam Field in the Air Corps, as part of the 17th Air Base Squadron. In 1941, he was transferred to 4th Reconnaissance Squadron still on Hickam Field and he was promoted to Private First Class in the latter part of 1941. By April 1942, Scotidas was promoted to Sergeant and he was transferred to the 394th Bomb Squadron based in San Francisco, California by July 1942.
- 1940 January 17-1946 April 17
Language of Materials
This collection contains letters written in English and Greek.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions. For further copyright information, please contact the archivist.
.75 Linear Feet (1.5 document boxes; 18 folders)
This collection contains letters correspondence written to Sgt. Harry Scotidas, USAAF, and Mary Mantos by family and friends during the Second World War.
This collection is arranged in three series by recipient in chronological order. Series 1: Correspondence to Harry Scotidas -- Series 2: Correspondence to Mary Mantos -- Series 3: Correspondence to Sgt. Harry, Mary, and Thomas Scotidas
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Silverman [first name unknown]
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Air Force. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Hawaii Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Homefront Subject Source: Local sources
- Finding Aid for the Harry Scotidas Second World War correspondence
- Rebecca Woolf
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard