Sharron A. Stemler Second World War correspondence
Collection — Box: WWII 13, Folder: 14
This collection contains two correspondence written to Ray Wheeler during the Second World War. The first letter was written by Henry Hoover and the second letter was written by Sergant Bruce H. Nickerson, who was part of the 63rd Armored Infantry Battalion. Stemler, Nickerson's niece, also included a newspaper clipping about him with his letter. This clipping does contradict the letter, as it states that Nickerson served in the South Pacific but research has shown that his division and Nickerson himself references being in Germany. It is unknown whether the clipping or the letter bears false information. The letter references Nickerson's passion for finding eggs and one such time he instead found "4 jerries" or Germans who were willing to surrender. The letter also states that "I carry the keys of the cities with me, boot heels and gun butts; they open any door." This letter's date is unknown. The other letter is V-mail to Stemler's other uncle Ray Wheeler from his friend Henry Hoover. The letter does not say much of interest other than the reference of air raids and that he is in Okinawa. The letter has a naval censor stamp so it may be assumed that Henry was in the Navy but no other information is known. It appears that Henry may have been Sergeant First Class but this information cannot be confirmed.
- 1945 August 21
- 1939 - 1945
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions. For further copyright information, please contact the archivist.
.08 Linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
This collection contains letters and newspaper clippings from Sgt. Bruce H. Nickerson and Henry Hoover during the Second World War.
This collection is arranged by material type, author, and date.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Sharron A. Stemler
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Okinawa Island (Japan) -- History, Military. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army -- Pacific Theater of Operations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War II Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Germany Subject Source: Local sources
- Finding Aid for the Sharron A. Stemler Second World War correspondence collection
- Wynter Salazar
- August 2, 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script