James N. McNutt Second World War collection
Collection — Multiple Containers
This collection contains correspondence from 1st Lieutenant James Nelson (Snakey) McNutt, U.S. Army, to his wife Moydale Neuman McNutt during the Second World War. This collection also includes two diaries written by McNutt (1944-45), a copy of a discharge certificate, the book "Seek, Strike, Destroy: The History of the 636th Tank Destroyer Battalion" which includes accounts from McNutt's diaries, and a CD containing relevant information pertaining to what was written in the letters and diaries and photos.
- 1941 February 11-1945 October 31
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions. For further copyright information, please contact the archivist.
Biographical / Historical
James Nelson "Snakey" McNutt wa born August 7, 1917 and died December 2, 1979. He married Moydale Neumann Oct. 14, 1941. They had two children, Thomas Carlton McNutt and Gaye Lynn McNutt. -- James (Snakey) McNutt obituary with photographs: https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=71879170 -- History of 636th Tank Destroyer Battalion: http://www.tankdestroyer.net/units/battalions600s/223-636th-tank-destroyer-battalion -- Obituary for Moydale McNutt - http://www.garmanycarden.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=2626543&fh_id=13280 -- Excerpts from letters to Moydale: http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/36division/mcnutt/mcnutt41.htm
2 Linear feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection contains correspondence from Lt. James Nelson (Snakey) McNutt, USA, to his wife Moydale Neuman McNutt during the Second World War. It also includes two diaries written by McNutt as well as the book, Seek, Strike, Destroy which featured McNutt's diaries and digital media containing information pertaining to what was written in the letters and diaries and photos.
This collection is arranged by material type and date. -- Series 1: Correspondence -- Series 2: Diaries -- Series 3: Book -- Series 4: Gaye McNutt digital material -- Series 5: Ephemera
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Gaye McNutt
Many letters are breaking along folds and are in several pieces therefore are placed in individual paper folders. Both of the diaries are separated from their spines.
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Local sources
- World War (1939-1945) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- France Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Germany Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Italy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- North Africa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding aid for the James N. McNutt Second World War correspondence
- Sharon Clairemont
- October 5, 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note