Warren L. Brandt Second World War correspondence
This collection contains one photocopied V-mail from SSgt. Warren L. Brandt, USAAF as well as two photocopied photos of Brandt. This collection also contains a donor transcription of the letter and of a newspaper clipping of his obituary as well as a note about Brandt’s disability. In the letter he writes to George, Verna and Jerry Goss. He states that his sister, Dorothy has forwarded a letter from them and he had just received it. He says that most of his crew had gone home and he would have as well if he had not been in the hospital. This is most likely a reference to his disability he received after his plane was shot down in combat. A donor note states that Brandt suffered damage to his extremities from the extreme cold of the bombers turret. He states that he needs to “finish up” his required amount saying “ I still have six more and then I will have the required amount in although at present I haven’t a pilot so I will fly when ever one of the other crew members get sick. They all look pretty healthy so I guess I will be sometime until finish up.”
- 1945 March 14
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions. For further copyright information, please contact the archivist.
Biographical / Historical
Staff Sergeant Warren Lester Brandt, United States Army Air Force (6/11/1923 - 4/17/2002) was born in Winburne, Pennsylvania to Albert and Anna Schultz. He had six siblings, Dorothy Berry, Delores Jenney, Donald Goss, David Brandt, Bernard Brandt, and George Goss. Brandt served in the US Air force as a B-24 bomber gunner. His plane was shot down during combat resulting in a lifetime disability and he was discharged July 20, 1945. Brandt died April 17, 2002 at the age of 78 and was interred at Forest Baptist Cemetery with military honors.
0.08 Linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
This collection contains photocopied photographs, a transcribed newspaper clipping, and a photocopied letter with a donor made transcription from SSgt. Warren L. Brandt, USAAF during the Second World War.
This collection is arranged by material type, author, and date.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Gerald F. and Della Goss
- B-24 (Bomber) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Battle casualties Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Local sources
- United States -- Air Force. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army Air Forces -- Aerial gunnery Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Casualties Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War II Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Warren L. Brandt Second World War correspondence
- Wynter Salazar
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description