Henry A. Kennedy, Sr. Second World War correspondence
This collection contains correspondence from Major Henry A. "Stump" Kennedy, Sr., United States Army to his parents and sister during the Second World War. Kennedy served first as a 2nd Lieutenant and was promoted to 1st Lieutenant and later Captain. He was transferred from base to base, serving in Norfolk, VA, and Seattle, Washington, and finally shipped overseas and was part of the invasion of the Philippines.
This collection also contains correspondence to Henry Kennedy from his school days in Charleston, as well as several letters from his army buddies in July, August and September of 1945 referencing his hospitalization. In addition, the collection contains correspondence to his parents from other friends and family, one of Henry's school assignments from middle school, and a newspaper clipping from May 4, 1945 discussing the fall of Hamburg.
- 1930 May 6 - 1945 November 2
- Majority of material found within 1941 May 30 - 1945 November 2
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions. For further copyright information, please contact the archivist.
0.5 Linear feet (1 document-box)
Language of Materials
This collection contain correspondence from Maj.Henry Anthony "Stump" Kennedy Sr., USA to his parents Austin J. and Annie Kennedy and his sister Elna Kennedy during the Second World War. The collection also contains correspondence to Henry Kennedy from his army buddies, as well as correspondence from his wife Naomi to his parents.
This collection is arranged by material type, author, and date.
- Series 1, Correspondence from Henry A. Kennedy, Sr.
- Series 2, Correspondence to Henry A. Kennedy, Sr.
- Series 3, Correspondence to Mr. and Mrs. Austin Kennedy
- Series 4, Henry A. Kennedy, Sr. School Assignment
- Series 5, Clippings
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Henry A. Kennedy, Jr.
- United States -- Army -- Pacific Theater of Operations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Homefront Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Hospitals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Philippines. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Henry A. Kennedy Sr. Second World War correspondence
- Lorraine Shaller
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description