William Harold Lee Second World War correspondence
This collection contains correspondence from Sergeant William Harold "Buddy" Lee, United States Army Air Force to his parents during the Second World War. As part of the 380th Bombardment Group, Lee served in New Guinea, Australia, the Philippines, and Okinawa, however his letters do not discuss any of his work, which seems to be confined to a field office. He also stayed in touch with the war news in other theaters. He discusses the situation on the Western front, the battles against the Japanese, and contemporary politics.
This collection also contains letters from Lee's family, including several from his father, two from his mother, and one from his sister.
Besides correspondence, the collection contains several newspaper clippings, one photograph, and some ephemera.
- 1944 April 14 - 1945 December 11
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions. For further copyright information, please contact the archivist.
0.75 Linear feet (2 document boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection contains correspondence between Sgt. William Harold Lee, USAAF, and his family during the Second World War. Lee was stationed in the Pacific and served in New Guinea, Australia, the Philippines, and Okinawa.
This collection is arranged chronologically by material type:
- Series 1, Correspodnence from William Harold Lee
- Series 2, Correspondence from the Lee family
- Series 3, Photographs
- Series 4, Newspaper clippings
- Series 5, Ephemera
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the family of William Harold Lee, donated by Rebecca Rayfield.
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Local sources
- United States -- Army -- Air Forces Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Philippines. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the William Harold Lee Second World War correspondence
- Lorraine Shaller
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description