Peter J. Nardi Second World War correspondence
Collection — Box: WWII 17, Folder: 11
Scope and Contents
This collection contains fourty-four v-mail correspondences from and a photograph of Captain (later Major) Peter J. Nardi, 129th General Hospital, US Army, during the Second World War. His letters are all addressed to his mother, who lives in New York City, New York.
- Majority of material found within 1944 September 1-1945 May 27
Language of Materials
In the bottom-right corner of the photograph, written in Italian are the words, "Per sempre il tuo, Pierino", which translates to, "Yours forever, Peter".
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions. For further copyright information, please contact the archivist.
Biographical / Historical
Peter J. Nardi was born on 11 May 1915 in New York City. His parents, Pietro and Celestina Nardi, emigrated from near Parma, Italy. He graduated from Stuyvesant High School in 1932, Manhattan College in 1936, and New York Medical College in 1942. During the Second World War, he enlisted in the Army as a physician and was stationed at the 129th General Hospital in Liverpool, England. Nardi was in charge of the dispensary, laboratory, and blood transfusion bank there. He specialized in infectious diseases and eventually achieved the rank of Major. After the war, he went into general practice in the Bronx, New York City, until the 1960s, when he became an anesthesiologist at Pelham Bay General Hospital. He retired in 1974 and moved to Deltona, Florida with his wife, Jeanne. Nardi died in Deltona on 21 August 1988.
.08 Linear feet (1 folder)
This collection contains fourty-four v-mail correspondences from and a photograph of Cpt. Peter J. Nardi, 129th General Hospital, USA, during the Second World War.
This collection is arranged by material type, author, and date. Series 1: Correspondence -- Series 2: Ephemera
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Peter M. Nardi and Donna Nardi Crank.
Chapman does not hold the IP rights to this collection.
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Hospitals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- V-E Day Subject Source: Local sources
- World War, 1939-1945--England Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Peter J. Nardi Second World War correspondence
- Under Revision
- Lee Feldman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note