Roger Highland Second World War correspondence
Collection — Box: WWII 49
This collection contains correspondence from T/5 Roger B. Highland, USA to his mother and to his wife during the Second World War. Also, included are many of his photographs from during this time. There is also correspondence from post Second World War, the 1990s, from Tony Schrand, who was an army buddy, to Roger Highland. There is also a correspondence from Roger Highland to his son written in 1990 about his time in the Second World War. Highland served with the 38th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron in France, Germany and Czechoslovakia. His job was principally with radio communications. The collection contains photographs taken in Germany, Fance and Czechoslovakia, and images of the concentration camp Buchenwald. The collection also contains military discharge papers, medals, citations, newspapers, and a history of the 38th Calvary.
- Majority of material found within 1943-1945
- Majority of material found within 1994-1995
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions. For further copyright information, please contact the archivist.
Biographical / Historical
A biography of Technician Fifth Grade Roger B. Highland, United States Army (1916 - 2003) is included in the collection's donor file. A short obituary is at http://www.theindependent.com/obituaries/today-s-obituaries/article_69ebe7ee-5df1-5a6f-a935-2454ade97c20.html. -- An obituary for Esther Highland can be found at http://www.giallfaiths.com/obituaries/Esther-Highland/#!/Obituary
.32 Linear feet (22 folders)
Language of Materials
This collection contains correspondence and photographs from Technician Fifth Grade Roger B. Highland, USA, during the Second World War.
This collection is arranged by material type, author and date.
- Series 1: Correspondence - Roger Highland to Lucy Highland
- Series 2: Correspondence - Roger Highland to Esther Highland
- Series 3: Correspondence - Roger Highland to Lynn Highland
- Series 4: Correspondence - Roger Highland with Tony Schrand
- Series 5: Correspondence - Esther Highland to Lucy Highland
- Series 6: Correspondence - Alan Highland to Lucy Highland
- Series 7: Maps, 1945
- Series 8: Memorabilia - regarding the "taking of Paris" on August 25, 1944
- Series 9: Military citations, 1944-1945
- Series 10: Military discharge, licences, 1938 - 1945
- Series 11: Medals
- Series 12: Currency and stamps
- Series 13: Book - A Short History of the 38th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron (Mechanized), 1945
- Series 14: Book - New Testament of Bible
- Series 15: Photographs - France, Germany, Czechoslovakia, 1944 - 1945
- Series 16: Photographs - Buchenwald concentration camp
- Series 17: Photographs of German swords
- Series 18: Newspapers, 1944 - 1945
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Roger Highland WWII Letters & Memorabilia, donated by Lynn Highland.
Donor irrevocably transfers, conveys, and assigns to Chapman University all Intellectual Property Rights for the Donated Materials from Roger B. Highland. This transfer, conveyanace or assignment does not extend to correspondence written by Tony Schrand. For more information, consult original donation form.
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Local sources
- Jewish Holocaust (1939-1945) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Concentration camps -- Germany Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Germany Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Photography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Roger Highland Second World War correspondence collection
- Sharon Clairemont
- January 5, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script