Claude McCoy Gordon, Jr. Second World War correspondence
Collection — Box: WWII 60, Folder: 1-7, Folder: 1-7
This collection contains approximately 230 correspondence written by Capt. Claude McCoy Gordon, Jr., U.S. Army, to Jessie McBrayer Gordon during the Second World War. Correspondence begins in 1942, before Claude and Jessie married, and ends with his anticipated discharge in 1946. The bulk of the correspondence covers his service as an engineer in the Army Signal Corps in the Philippines and Japan. The collection also contains biographical material.
- 1944 - 1945
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions. For further copyright information, please contact the archivist.
Biographical / Historical
In addition to the biographical material in Series 2, this obituary appeared in the Washington Post - https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/claude-m-gordon-jr-electrical-engineer/2012/10/22/d11caf1e-1c6c-11e2-ad90-ba5920e56eb3_story.html?utm_term=.6c2d72270e51
.5 Linear feet (7 folders)
Language of Materials
This collection contains correspondence written by Capt. Claude McCoy Gordon, Jr., U.S. Army, to Jessie McBrayer Gordon during the Second World War.
This collection is arranged by material type, author and date. Series 1: Correspondence - Claude Gordon, Jr. to Jessie McBrayer Gordon -- Series 2: Biographical Information
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Laurence M. Gordon
Donor irrevocably transfers, conveys, and assigns to Chapman University all Intellectual Property Rights for Donated Materials. For more information, consult original donation form.
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Local sources
- World War (1939-1945) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Japan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Pacific Area Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Philippines. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Claude McCoy Gordon, Jr. Second World War correspondence collection
- Sharon Clairemont
- February 15, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script