Kenneth K. Orbaker pre-First World War correspondence
This collection is available online through Chapman University's Digital Commons at https://digitalcommons.chapman.edu/wla/.
This collection contains one correspondence from PFC Kenneth Kenyan Orbaker, USA to his friend Marion Miller before the First World War as well as three newspaper clippings concerning Orbaker during the First World War. The letter was written to the donor’s grandmother, Marion Miller Rath (1898-1991). The donor is unsure how the two met. The letter dated May 25, 1914, Orbaker states he could not attend Miller’s party for he got the measles. The rest of the letter does not state anything else of much importance. The newspaper clippings reveal some information on Orbaker’s background. The first two state that that Orbaker has “arrived overseas” and gives some information such as his hometown, his rank and branch of service, and his schooling, including a photo of Orbaker. The third newspaper clipping states that Orbaker died and gives information to when his body arrived and when his funeral services were. This clipping also includes a photo of Orbaker.
- 1914 May 25
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions. For further copyright information, please contact the archivist.
Biographical / Historical
Private First Class Kenneth Kenyan Orbaker, United States Army (1894 - 10/19/1918) was born in Wayne County, New York to Abram and Eva Kenyan Orbaker and was an only child. He graduated from the fine arts department of the Mechanics Institute and attended the National Academy of Design in New York City.
He served in the Intelligence Section, Headquarters Company, 309th Infantry during the First World War. He was killed during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive on October 19, 1918.
0.08 Linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
This collection contains correspondence from PFC Kenneth Kenyan Orbaker, USA to his friend Marion Miller before the First World War.
This collection is arranged by material type, author, and date.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Debbie Bloom.
- Battle casualties Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Battle of the Argonne (France : 1918) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence -- World War, 1914-1918 Subject Source: Local sources
- War -- Death notification Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- War stories -- Periodicals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1914-1918) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1914-1918) -- Casualties Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Kenneth K. Orbaker pre-First World War correspondence
- Wynter Salazar
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Center for American War Letters Archives Repository
Orange CA 92866 United States