Douglass R. Nicklas Second World War and Korean War correspondence
This collection contains personal correspondence from LtCol. Douglass R. Nicklas, USA to his parents and brother during the Second World War. Also included are insignia, citations, military orders, correspondence, flight records, certifications, commendations, and discharges relating to Nicklas' war service and subsequent reserve service.
- 1942 - 1998
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions. For further copyright information, please contact the archivist.
Biographical / Historical
Lieutenant Colonel Douglass R. Nicklas, United States Army (7/20/1923 - 8/11/1998) studied psychology at the University of Maryland before he entered active service in Army on March 12, 1944, five days before he married "Kitty" on March 17. He served in the European Theater of Operations as a fighter pilot flying P-47s, conducting bomber, escort, strafing, and column cover missions. After the war, he continued his studies and earned a bachelor's degree in psychology at Maryland and a master's in experimental psychology from the University of Illinois. He was then recalled from the Air Force Reserve during the Korean War and remained in the US training pilots to fly P-51 fighters. He worked a long career as a human factors psychologist in the field of ergonomics, and passed away at his home in Oxnard at 75 years old.
LA Times obituary - http://articles.latimes.com/1998/aug/17/local/me-14002
.5 Linear Feet (12 folders)
Language of Materials
This collection contains personal correspondence and records of LtCol. Douglass R. Nicklas, USAAF during the Second World War and the Korean War.
This collection is arranged by material type and date. Original order was preserved as much as possible.
- Series 1, Personal correspondence
- Series 2, Service records and orders
- Series 3, Pilot records - Individual Flight Records
- Series 4, Pilot records - certificates, exams, orders, communications
- Series 5, Retired Reserve documents and correspondence
- Series 6, Retired Reserve records and orders
- Series 7, Diplomas and course certificates
- Series 8, Air Reserve Notes newsletter and 366th Fighter Group Reunion program
- Series 9, Discharge documents
- Series 10, Insignia patches
- Series 11, U.S. Army Presidential Unit Citation
- Series 12, Obituary
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Diane Nicklas
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Local sources
- Korean War, 1950-1953. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army -- Air Forces Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Aerial operations, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Douglass R. Nicklas Second World War and Korean War correspondence
- Sharon Clairemont
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description