Charles T. Bedell Second World War correspondence
This collection contains correspondence written by Ens. Charles T. Bedell, USNR to John W. Miller and his wife, Kay, during the Second World War. Included are two letters, one V-Mail and a wedding invititaion. Ens. Bedell asks how things are back home, gives some updates on his naval radar training in Florida and getting lost on the USS Mississippi when he ships out in 1945. He asks John about his deferment, warning that if he doesn't get it taken care of he is "liable to be out here with me."
- 1944 October 20 - 1945 March 27
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
Ensign Charles Tilton Bedell, United States Naval Reserve (1/6/1919 - 3/3/2006) was born in Greenburgh, New York to John Alison Bedell and Lilian B. Havens. He joined the Navy Reserve and lived in Dayton, Ohio working at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and trained in 1944 in Hollywood, Florida as a radar operator. He was shipped out in 1945 on the USS Mississippi and later returned after the war to Wright-Patterson and worked as a mechanical engineer. He married his wife Marguerite "Maggie" Louise Fruent on November 27, 1943 and they had a son, John in 1949 and a daughter, Rebecca in 1952. Ens. Bedell passed away in 2006 in Orlando, FL. John lost his brother John on May 8, 1944 in the European theater.
.08 Linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
This collection contains correspondence from Ens. Charles T. Bedell, USNR, to his friends John and Kay Miller during the Second World War.
This collection is arranged in chronological order.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Barbara J. Miller-Krewson.
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army -- Air Forces Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. -- Navy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Charles T. Bedell Second World War correspondence
- Andrew Harman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note