Joyce Smith Second World War correspondence
This collection contains correspondence to Joyce Smith from multiple soldiers during the Second World War. The soldiers include Corporal John W. Winters, United States Army; Corporal Steve Powers, United States Army; Staff Sergeant Hal H. Hervey, United States Army; Private Ray E. McClure, United States Army; Private Andrew J. Baldwin, United States Army; Corporal Bernard R. Fincke, United States Army; and a Private "Sully" Sullivan, United States Army.
- Majority of material found within 1943 November 23 - 1945 October 5
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
Joyce Smith Durham was born and raised in Abilene, Texas and attended Abilene High School with the authors of this collection, where she met some of her "crew" or "gang" as they call themselves, which included several girls and boys that are mentioned throughout the collection of letters, even enjoying a romantic relationship with some. Her father was Major L.A. Smith, United States Army and stationed at Camp Wallace in Galveston. Almost all of the authors mention her good grades and completing her final exams with high scores, including earning 100% on her trigonometry final. She sang in the church choir at St. Paul Methodist Church in Abilene.
0.15 Linear feet (5 folders)
Language of Materials
This collection contains correspondence to Joyce Smith from several soldiers during the Second World War.
This collection is arranged by author, by bulk of materials, and letters are arranged chronologically.
- Series 1, Correspondence from John Winters
- Series 2, Correspondence from Steven Powers
- Series 3, Correspondence from Hal H. Hervey
- Series 4, Correspondence from Ray E. McClure
- Series 5, Correspondence from various authors
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Joyce Durham.
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Local sources
- United States. -- Army. -- Field Artillery Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Campaigns -- France -- Normandy. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Casualties Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Equipment and supplies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Marine Corps Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Joyce Smith Second World War correspondence
- Andrew Harman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note