Frank D. Yaussi Second World War correspondence
This collection contains 328 correspondence primarily between Maj. Frank D. Yaussi, USAAF and his mother, Eula Yaussi, during the Second World War. Included is further correspondence between Maj. Yaussi and other relatives: brothers A/C Ralph Yaussi, USN and A/C Louis A. Yaussi, sisters Alice and Maryanne Yaussi, and his father. Also included are a few correspondence from his cousin Lt. H.P. "Pat" Hayes, USA to Eula Yaussi and three draft registration cards for Frank Yaussi.
- Majority of material found within 1940 November 19 - 1943 October 24
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
Major Frank Dickinson Yaussi, United States Air Force (3/6/1915 - 2003) was born in Winifred, Kansas to Albert F. and Eula L. Yaussi. The family moved to Glendale and Frank graduated from Hoover High School and Glendale Junior College. He had four younger siblings: Louis Aaron, Ralph A., Alice (b. 12/31/1924), and Mary Ann (b. 9/11/1927).
Maj. Yaussi registered for the draft in October 1940 and enlisted on January 19, 1942 in Los Angeles. He trained as an Airman Cadet at March Field in Riverside, California and served overseas with the 306 Bomb Group in late 1942 and early 1943. According to the donor, his son Clif, Yaussi was the group bombardier in the lead aircraft of the first all American raid over Germany, January 7, 1943. This, according to Clif, was twelve feet closer than Col. Frank Armstrong who commanded the raid as pilot. Maj. Yaussi later served with the 101st Combat Wing and 1st Combat Wing in England.
Airman Cadet Louis Aaron "Aaron" Yaussi, United States Army Air Force (b. 10/16/1921) was born in Marysville, Kansas. He registered for the draft in February 1942 and enlisted September 28, 1942 in Los Angeles with one year of college and machine shop experience. He then trained as a cadet pilot with Squadron 62, Flight C at Santa Ana Army Air Base, after serving as a mechanic while a private with 346th C.T.D. Flight 24 in Moorehead, Minnesota and 70th Base HQ and A.B. Squadron in Las Vegas, Nevada. Service beyond his cadet status is unknown.
Lieutenant Ralph Arthur Yaussi, United States Navy (3/24/1920 - 5/1/2009) registered for the draft in Lake Arrowhead in July 1941 and enlisted June 29, 1942. He served as an Airman Cadet at Naval Air Station Corpus Christi in Texas, class 10A. He then earned lieutenant junior grade in April 1944 and lieutenant in November 1945. He passed away in Monterey Park, CA and is interred at Marysville Cemetery in Kansas.
After the war, Frank and Louis co-founded Ambrit Industries, a die casting company. Frank passed away in 2003 and is interred at Forest Lawn Cemetery.
0.2 Linear feet (2 folders)
Language of Materials
This collection contains correspondence primarily between Maj. Frank D. Yaussi, USAAF and his mother, Eula Yaussi, during the Second World War. Included is further correspondence between Yaussi and other relatives as well as a few correspondence from his cousin H.P. Hayes to Eula.
This collection is arranged chronologically by series, separated between correspondence to and from Maj. Frank D. Yaussi:
Series 1, Correspondence from Frank
Series 2, Correspondence to Frank
Series 3, Other correspondence
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the Frank D. Yaussi Family, donated by Clif Yaussi.
- Bombardier aircraft Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Local sources
- United States -- Army -- Air Forces -- Bombardier Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. -- Navy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- V-mail Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Christmas Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War (1939-1945) -- Germany Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War II Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Frank D. Yaussi Second World War correspondence
- In Progress
- Andrew Harman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note