Theresa Allen Gulf War correspondence
This collection contains approximately 10 photocopied letters written by Theresa Allen to her pen-pals during the Gulf War. She wrote these letters from November 15, 1990 to February 15, 1991. This collection also contains 18 letters from seven total servicemen addressed to Theresa Allen during the Gulf War.
Allen wrote about her desire to support the US military through letter writing, her daily-life living in Nashville, TN, and her career goals as a recent University graduate who was unsatisfied with her job at time of correspondence. Soldiers include (in order of appearance):
Sergeant Scott Schoenbauer, United States Army
- Schoenbauer wrote 5 letters from December 22, 1990 to May 17, 1991. He served in Saudi Arabia with the 82nd Airborne Division. Throughout his correspondence with Allen, he shared details about coping with war in the Saudi Arabian desert as a "sniper in the Recon platoon." In his January 23, 1991 letter, Schoenbauer stated that "I'm living out in the middle of the desert in a tent and haven't seen much yet. I did see Scuds get shot down by some Patriot missiles late at night near Riyadh [Saudi Arabia]."
Fire Control 3rd Class Mark Cox, United States Navy
- Cox wrote 5 letters from December 11, 1990 to June 6, 1991. He served in the Persian Gulf with the Gunner's Mate Division aboard the USS Wisconsin. Cox wrote with concern about breakout of war in the Middle-East in both of his December 1990 letters. By January 17, 1991 Cox wrote that at "0100 in the AM on the 17 the first US miss[i]le was fired from a ship over here. We started shooting at 2:15 AM and ended at 240. Then we started again at 7:43 AM and just now ended at 11:55 [AM]. We are [supposed] to shoot another one at 7:30 PM and that will be the end till the next day or so."
Corporal Mike J. Flinn, United States Marines
- Flinn wrote 5 letters from December 29, 1990 to March 6, 1991. He served with the 4th Marine Expeditionary Brigade, Battle Service Group-4 in Saudi Arabia. In his February 1, 1991 letter, Flinn updated Allen that he participated in a "five day operation in the desert" and that he had "been moved from the carrier to an amphibious assault ship in preparation for an assault on Kuwait City in the near future." Flinn's last letter to Allen was dated March 2, 1991 included four photographs. Each photograph was folded to fit in an envelope by either Flinn or Allen but has since been flattened for ease of access.
- Sergeant Travis Query, United States Army
- Specialist Jason Goss, United States Army
- Private Michael O'Shea, United States Army
- Sergeant First Class David L. Butler, United States Army
A letter written by CPL Flinn dated March 2, 1991 contained the 4 photographs:
- 1. Photograph of Flinn in front of a Camp Gray sign, with inscription on verso that reads "me!"
- 2. Photograph of a Boeing Vertol CH-46 Sea Knight that was either landing or taking off from a naval vessel. Contains an inscription on verso that reads"a CH-46 piloted by 2 women!"
- 3. Photograph of the Kuwait coast with inscription on verso.
- 4. Photograph of an oil refinery with inscription on verso that reads "Oil refinery, Al Jubayl, Saudi Arabia."
This collection also contains an issue of the Tennessean newspaper published February 11, 1991 and one photocopy of the same newspaper's front page.
- 1990 November 15 - 1991 June 6
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
.3 Linear Feet (3 folders)
Language of Materials
This collection contains approximately 28 correspondence to and from Theresa Allen during the Gulf War.
This collection is organized by author, chronology, and material type.
- Folder 1, Correspondence from Theresa Allen
- Folder 2, Correspondence to Theresa Allen
- Folder 3, Clippings and photocopies
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Theresa Allen
- Correspondence -- Persian Gulf War, 1991 Subject Source: Local sources
- Newspaper clippings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Persian Gulf War (1991) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Persian Gulf War (1991) -- Kuwait Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. -- Army. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. -- Marine Corps Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. -- Navy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Theresa Allen Gulf War correspondence
- Frank J. López-Huerta
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description