Arthur J. Estes Second World War, Korean War, and Vietnam War correspondence and photographic slides
Scope and Contents
This collection contains approximately correspondence from CH (Col.) Arthur J. Estes, USAR to his wife Jeane E. Estes throughout the Second World War, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. Also included is one box of slides, one self-published memoir, and several personal histories and resumes. Estes served as a chaplain during all three conflicts.
Series 1 contains approximately 1,200 letters written by Estes to his wife. Estes continued to write to his family between each conflict while serving from the home front or from abroad. Most of his correspondence records his experiences as a military chaplain, military career goals, and his relationships with military chaplains of different religious sects.
Series 2, also contains two letters written by Jeane E. Estes to Arthur J. Estes, and two letters written by Donald E. Shook to Sharon Estes [Arthur and Jeane's daughter].
Series 3, contains a signed copy of Arthur J. Estes' 2008 memoir, Paratrooper Chaplain: The memoirs of a lifetime of service to military personnel.
Series 4, contains approximately three resumes, one "brief biography" on Arthur J. Estes, and one photocopy of Arthur J. Estes' "Armed Forces of the United States Report of Transfer or Discharge" document.
Series 5, contains approximately 200 Kodachrome transparency slides. Most of these slides appear to have been taken in Saigon [Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam] during the Vietnam War.
- Creation: 1942 June 16 - 2013 March 6
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1942 June 16 - 1969 November 17
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this material except where previously copyrighted material is concerned. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all permissions.
Biographical / Historical
Chaplain (Colonel) Arthur Jeffry Estes, United States Army (1921 - 2012) was born to Arthur M., and Bernice B. Estes in Jacksonville, Florida. Arthur married Jeanne Louise Estes née Elliot on September 5, 1943. Arthur and Jeanne had two daughters, Sharon Jeane and Patricia Suzanne Estes, as well as one son [name unknown].
2 Linear Feet (39 folders)
Language of Materials
This collection contains approximately 1,200 letters written by CH (Col.) Arthur J. Estes, USAR to his wife Jeane E. Estes throughout the Second World War, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. Also included is one box of slides, one self-published memoir, and several personal histories and resumes. Estes served as a chaplain during all three conflicts.
This collection is arranged into five series.
- Series 1, corresponde from Arthur J. Estes
- Series 2, correspondence from other authors
- Series 3, Arthur J. Estes memoir
- Series 4, other documents
- Series 5, photographic slides and other materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Sharon Estes Knapp.
Statement on Potentially Harmful Content
This collection may contain materials that are difficult to view, are potentially harmful, or use outdated and culturally insensitive language. Chapman University preserves and makes these materials accessible to researchers to ensure long-term accuracy of these historical records. This repository aims to not promote or otherwise celebrate this content, but to use it for educational and research purposes.
Please see the National Archives and Records Administration's (NARA) "Statement on Potentially Harmful Content" for more information: https://www.archives.gov/research/reparative-description/harmful-content
- Correspondence -- World War, 1939-1945
- Jesus Christ.
- Korean War -- (1950-1953) -- Correspondence
- Korean War, 1950-1953.
- Newspaper clippings
- Slides (Photography)
- Vietnam War (1961-1975) -- Correspondence
- Vietnam War (1961-1975) -- Personal narratives, American
- World War (1939-1945)
- World War (1939-1945) -- Personal Narratives
- Finding Aid for the Arthur J. Estes Second World War, Korean War, and Vietnam War correspondence and photographic slides
- Frank J. López-Huerta
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Box: Cold War 5, Folder: 1 - 9, Folder: 1 - 9 (mixed materials)
- Box: Cold War 6, Folder: 10 - 21, Folder: 10 - 21 (mixed materials)
- Box: Cold War 7, Folder: 22 - 30, Folder: 22 - 30 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: Cold War 8, Folder: 31 - 38, Folder: 31 - 38 (mixed materials)
- Folder: VW O-F 1, Folder: 39 (Ephemera)
- custom-box: Estes 1 (Graphic Materials)